Thursday, August 04, 2005

Live Poker

I played in a live tourney last night... only to miss the traffic...

The place that hosts the tourney, Mondays and Wednesdays, is like 2 blocks from where I am taking this class for Oracle.. and I got out of class late yesterday.. 5:15 or so, and since signup for the tourney starts at 5.. I decided to go on over.. try to last til the traffic died down...

It didn't appear that the people playing were any where near as skilled as the people I play agaisnt online, at the free rolls.... at least, not at my table..

I only got 'involved' in 4 hands, not counting the couple times it was checked to me in the BB, wheretofor, I folded on the flop...

First hand... K6o.. I am in the small blind, and am able to call the BB... usually, someone would raise some God awful amount that would prevent me from calling with K6o. Flop brought a K and a couple other cards that didn't mattre.. I had top pair, and was prepared to go all in... BB bet 100, everyone folded.. I called.. called his 100 on the turn, and raised his 100 to 200 on the river... he had K6o, split pot.

Second Hand... J7s.... I call from middle position as 3 players folded in front of me... thought about raising, but, well.. traffic was still pretty bad.... flop was 3 queens, not a one of them my suit.. I checked, next person went all in, I folded..

Third hand... I am in the BB.. AKo... blinds are at 400 now... couple people had been calling every raise... pretty much no mattre what.. I was wishy washy on this hand... 1st to act called.. couple folds, dealer calls, SB folds... hmmm.. I can raise min and most likely get both to call, can raise standard ( 1200 ), and maybe get one caller, I can go all in, possibly go out.. the lattre, was easily vetoed, cuz, well, traffic was still bad... simply checking was out as this was too good of a starting hand to let medicore hands get in... I wanted to isolate to 1 opponent, so, I raised 3X, from 400 to 1200... the first guys thinks about it for a few seconds.. and then blurts out... "well, Im sure you have a great hand, cuz you haven't played many at all", I glance at the other guy, as first guy folds, and to me it looks like he was just struck smack in the face with the revelation stick.. I doubt he was even paying attention to how many hands I had played...until mr. blurt out told him... and second guy folds too..... ah well.. any pot is a good pot, right?

Last hand... must explain the the blind levels in these tourneys do not favor the timid player... which I had forgotten earlier... each round, the time limit decreases... as a result, you go from 200/400, in like 5 minutes... so, after that AKo, I fold some crappy cards.. and the blinds go to 500/1000.. I have 3330.. which is what I started with, just about.... and now the BB is on me again, and I get A7s.... folded to SB...and he raises 2500..making it 3000 to play. I look outside, the traffic is looking bettre.. figure if I fold, putting me at 2330, and then the SB will put me at 1830, A7s is looking pretty good... specially agaisnt 1 person, and especially since this guy would play any two cards...but mostly due to the traffic... I go all in... he calls the extra 330... flips A10o.... me be needing a 7... and me not get one... time to go home...

I honestly didn't get anything bettre than those four hands.... had 84o once that would have been a J high straight.. none of the folks that played to the river had an 8, pair of J's won that one.. and one hand was 10 5 suited.. flopped a flush... none of my suit in the two players that went to showdown...

ah well..... I was just to beat traffic, after all....

No comments: