Thursday, January 20, 2005

4th place, played only 2 hands

Yep.. 40 odd folks in the tourny... I played a total of two hands....won the first one, lost the second one, busting out in 4th place... imagine that... let me try to draw ya a picture of how it went down...

This was an APL tourny and the blinds start out at 10/20 and rapidly increase..... the first reason I did not play a hand, is simply because I could not get a hand to play... not even a mediocore hand.... the best hand I got, during this 'phase', was 9 7 offsuit... this phase cost me T30 chips... one BB and one SB.. oh wait, I did actually get 77 once.. but the dealer, to my right, took my cards and mixed them in with the other folded cards.... I had said "CALL".. my cards were right in front of me... and he took them and put them in the muck..... I could not believe it.... I went ahead and called my two cards with the redeal, as I was just trying to maintain one extra chip for the color up happening soon.. ( they round up... so, eleven T10 chips will get you two T100 chips... whatever edge, right? )

Anyway...we had a player that just could not deal very well at all... and before the blinds came round to me again, enuff people had busted out from two tables, ours and another, for the director to combine us... and we drew for another dealer and I ended up Button -1. The phase cost me, one BB T200. Again.. no cards... actually, I got AKs with my BB, flop was 10 10 9, big giant raise to put me all in if i called, so i folded... dude had the other two 10's...busted out 2 peeps... and we were combining again....at this point, there are now two tables, 16 peeps.. top 16 get points.... im ITM, so to speak... without even playing... so, we draw for dealer again....

And again.. Button -1 for me... now the blinds are like 1k and 2k and I have like 1500....I go all in with K10 ( this is the hand I actually played ) and ended up winning the hand with a pair of 10's, K high. Now I have like 9k in chips.. and am at the final table....where, we draw for dealer again.. and guess what...-2 from button this time... blinds go around me once, leaving me with 5k ( one white chip ), A2o and I go all in.... one caller...Q2o, she flops a Q and I don't improve... ended up in 4th place without even playing....

It's too difficult for me to play agaisnt these folks... they don't respect raises and they think getting lucky on the river is equivalent to being a good poker player... I need to learn to play like them.. as, I have nothing at stake... just time.. it doesn't cost anything to play.... my 10 5 should be just as good as thier J6, right?

oy

Edit: Decided I should fill you in a lil bit more on this APL thing... they have regional tourneys for the top point earners each month... our region, there are 5 in Texas, only 3 are currently active... our region, only has 2 venues... which play two nights a week... for a total of 4 tourneys per week.... now, its not hard to just sit there and fold your way into the top 16... I've done it twice... and the thing is.. their website says they take 100-200 top point earners for the monthly championship... well, to date, there are only 135 people on the point list... I'm currently ranked 89, but that is going to go up a bit after last nights results get posted... anyway.. long story short... I am starting to believe that it is going to be easy to get into every championship.. each month... plus the points your earn are also reward points which can be traded for 'stuff'.. tshirts and the like...

what fun!

No comments: